Saturday 8 September 2012

Deadpool #60 Review

Deadpool #60 Review


Written by Daniel Way
Art by Salva Espin
Colours by Guru Efx

Story

Deadpool becomes 'The Human Flamethrower' and defeats Black Tom Cassidy and Black Box and reluctantly enters into a partnership with Black Swan.

Review

The issue kicks off with a flashback with Deadpool's dad in the principals office where he is informed that young Wade was caught in the boys' room playing with matches and 'attempting to light himself on fire'. Sergeant Wilson tells tale of Wade's fantasies of being a superhero called The Human Flamethrower. He is told that Wade has mental issues but is assured that he may grow out of it when he matures. Cut to present day – and a splash page that nearly made me choke on my Weetabix – and Deadpool is bent over with a flaming petrol hose between his legs proclaiming, 'I AM THE HUMAN FLAMETHROWER! WOOOOOOO!'. This knocks out Black Tom and he uses the very same method to take out the helicopter being flown by Black Box. His inner voices tell him to stop with the flames, which he ignores and turns himself into the scarred monstrosity he once was. Black Swan arrives and makes Deadpool realise that he's a bad guy. Deadpool wakes up in hospital and winds up in a partnership with Black Swan.

The thing I love about Deadpool is his utter stupidity. However, although I say that, I don't believe that he's stupid; he has a plan. He just doesn't know he has a plan. The way I see it, it's just like he closes his eye, balls up his fists, windmills his arms and hopes it all works out – which it usually does. Deadpool's seriousness at the end of the issue has me thinking though: with this being the end of Way's run, are we going to see a more unbalanced, and ultimately more dangerous, Deadpool? I'm not sure about this. Sure, the killing machine that we saw in last months Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe was great and all, but if they go in that direction I'm really going to miss the fart jokes.

Conclusion

If you're like me and love fart jokes, buy this comic!

No comments:

Post a Comment