Wednesday 5 September 2012

Avenging Spider-Man #11 Review

Avenging Spider-Man #11


Written by Zeb Wells
Art by Steve Dillon
Colours by Frank Martin Jr

The Story

Peter and Aunt May meet at Uncle Ben's grave and discuss the past

The Review

The story is superb. We get an insightful look at the relationship between May and Peter following Uncle Ben's death. I also particularly like the way Uncle Ben is described by Aunt May. Rather than the philosophical and high-moral Uncle Ben that we are used to, we are given a more human look at Ben. In the story, Peter tells Aunt May that he has started a science scholarship in Uncle Ben's name. This causes Aunt May to crumple in laughter because all the science and education encouragement that Ben gave to Peter was due to May's insistence. As she says: 'If I hadn't thrown a fit he would have brought home another baseball mitt “just to see if it'd take”'. The flashbacks in the story are very powerful and almost had me in tears. I loved the writing. However, I didn't like the art. In my mind it didn't fit. I don't know what it is. Maybe I'm just too used to the way Peter is drawn in Amazing Spider-Man by the likes of Humberto Ramos and Guiseppe Camuncoli or maybe it's the way Aunt May looks scarily like Madonna (complete with gap in the teeth), but something didn't sit right with me.


Conclusion

Great story. Not so great art. When I say not so great, sure the art is good but I just don't think it fit with story. I'd say pick it up and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment